Diesel-Electric Locomotive No. 612
No. 612 was built in 1953 by the American Locomotive Company (Alco) of Schenectady, New York as US Army US Army B-2066. It then became U.S. Navy 65-000612, Diesel 612 was assigned to the Concord Navel Weapons Center at the same time as the No. 613. Around the same time Railtown acquired No. 613, the Western Railway Museum near Rio Vista, California, acquired the 612 from the Navy. The 612 is equipped with a steam generator for passenger service.
In the "Great Swap" between the Western Railway Museum and the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola, No. 612 changed hands. CSRM and Railtown were also discussing swaps with the WP Museum and 612 came to the State with the intent of joining 613 at Railtown. No. 612 was "dropped off" in Sacramento when the WP Museum moved its equipment to Portola in 2005. After extended negotiations were made with the Union Pacific and BNSF railroads, No. 612 was allowed to move on its own wheels to Railtown in 2009.
Diesel-Electric Locomotive No. 613
Built in 1953 by American Locomotive Company (Alco) of Schenectady, New York, as US Army No. B2063, this engine was last used at the Concord Naval Weapons Center in Northern California as No. 65-000613. It came to Railtown in 1991 as Sierra Railway No. 613. The 613 is equipped with a steam generator for passenger service.
The locomotive was painted in a brightly colored yellow, black and gray paint scheme for use in a 1995 Chrysler mini-van commercial but in 2014 the locomotive was painted a more traditional black and silver scheme.
Diesel-Electric Locomotive No. 1265
Photo courtesy of Ken Rattenne
No. 1265 was built in 1953 as a model RS-4-TC by the Baldwin Locomotive Works (BLW), using a Whitcomb Diesel design (Baldwin had acquired the Whitcomb Company in 1931) in an end cab switcher arrangement utilizing a Caterpillar D6397 diesel engine as the prime mover. The unit was rebuilt as model RS-4-TC A1 in May 1994, receiving a new Caterpillar 3508 prime mover and updated controls in the process.
No. 1265 was last used at the US Army Munitions plant at Riverbank CA. When the Army ceased production at the plant under the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure act and leased the space out as an industrial park, the Sierra Railroad inherited the unit. It was eventually donated to Railtown in 2006. After some needed mechanical work it was placed in regular service at Railtown.
Model T No. 8
No. 8 was built by the Sierra Railway shops at Jamestown about 1925 or 1926. The frame is mostly adapted form an earlier Fairbanks-Morse speeder, with the motor coming from a 1922 Ford and the body from a 1925 Model T Tudor coupe. It was used as a Roadmaster’s car for inspection work and occasional emergencies.