Steam Locomotive No. 2
Photo courtesy of Ken Rattenne
Built in 1922 by Lima Locomotive works for the Hutchinson Lumber Company as their No. 2, this steam locomotive is known as a "Shay" which refers to the engine’s geared drive system, first devised by Ephraim Shay. No. 2 is a 3-truck Class C Shay. The Hutchinson Lumber Company became the Feather River Railway in 1939, and was abandoned in 1967 when Oroville Dam waters covered the rail line. Donated to the State of California in 1967, the locomotive was leased to the Sierra Railroad in 1975, and returned to operation in 1979. Weighing in at 102 tons, the No. 2 is the heaviest of the locomotives at Railtown.
Steam Locomotive No. 3
Appearing in over 100 Hollywood productions, the Sierra No. 3 is known as the "most photographed locomotive in Hollywood history." The 4-6-0 type locomotive was built in 1891 by Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works in Paterson, New Jersey for the Prescott and Arizona Central Railroad. Sierra No. 3 was one of the original three locomotive on the railroad, and later pulled passenger trains before the arrival of No. 32 in 1923. Retired in 1932, it was returned to operation for movie work in 1947-48. It has appeared in numerous movies, TV shows and commercials.
The No. 3's film and television credits include, "High Noon," "The Virginian," "Back to the Future, III," "Unforgiven," "Bad Girls," "Petticoat Junction," "The Wild, Wild West," and "Little House on the Prairie."
Steam Locomotive No. 28
Photo courtesy of Ken Rattenne
No, 28 is the workhouse of Railtown 1897. Built in 1922 by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, the locomotive is a Consolidation type engine with a 2-8-0 wheel configuration and was designed for freight service. The engine was purchased new by the Sierra Railway Company and has always worked at Railtown with all mechanical work on No. 28 being performed in Railtown's historic shops. The locomotive returned to service for the 1997 excursion season following a complete overhaul and rebuild of the engine frame, drivers, bearings and side rods. Currently No. 28 is undergoing an extensive rebuild and will be back in service in the near future.
Steam Locomotive No. 34
No. 34 is a 2-8-2 built new for the Sierra Railway by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of in Eddystone PA in 1925. The engine was retired by the Sierra in 1955 and stored at Jamestown except for occasional excursion outings. In 1961 it was sold to Reed Hatch along with No. 36, but No. 34 remained stored at the Jamestown roundhouse. Through the 1970s it was leased back to the Sierra for both movie and steam excursion work. About 1983 Fred Kepner entered into a purchase agreement for the locomotive along with No. 36 and another locomotive owned by Reed Hatch. No. 34 was last used in 1980 or 1981 in movie work. It is currently in long-term storage in the Railtown roundhouse.
Steam Locomotive No. 7
No. 7 was built by the Lima Locomotive Works for Fruit Growers Supply in Hilt, CA, as their No. 5 and later sold to the Standard Logging Company of Cochran OR as their No. 80 in 1939. In 1947 the engine went to the Pickering Lumber Co. in Standard CA as their No. 7 where it worked until Pickering’s demise in the 1960s. The locomotive worked briefly in 1971 during the attempted Sugar Pine Railway tourist railroad revival at Lyons Dam. Pickering successor Fibreboard sold No. 7 to Glen Bell in the mid-1970s as part of a package for his West Side & Cherry Valley operation in Tuolumne. No. 7s next owner in 1980 was dentist Dr. Al Nickel of Placerville who moved it to the Pacific Locomotive Association's (PLA) Castro Point Railway at Point Molate in Richmond, CA for intended use in excursion work, however, it was never placed in service. No. 7 came to Jamestown in 1995.