We are looking for volunteers who enjoy working with the public, and love to share their enthusiasm for history and railroading with our visitors. Prior experience with trains or public service is not required. Our training program begins in February. We also have opportunities to shadow our experienced volunteers prior to the formal training. This may help you decide which park functions you may enjoy the most.
Benefits to volunteering at Railtown 1897 State Historic Park include; membership in the California State Railroad Museum Foundation, free entrance and train rides at Railtown and the California State Railroad Museum, a variety of social activities, interesting training opportunities and guest speakers, discounts at the Depot Store, and an annual volunteer recognition dinner. We ask all of our volunteers for a minimum commitment of 8 hours per month. Volunteers are asked to provide and wear a uniform, specific to the position being filled. More information will be available at your intake meeting.
We are currently seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Car Hosts - Assist in safe operation and loading of cars, interpret history and operations to visitors.
- Ticket Agents - Assist in sale of tickets, answer questions at the Depot Store
- Tour Guides - Conduct hour-long tours of the Roundhouse and grounds.
- Public Greeters - Greet visitors at park entrance, direct visitors to activities of the day, answer questions.
- Fire Patrol - Patrol behind the train to report and respond to any possible fires or other hazards on the tracks.
If you are interested in applying for any of these positions, please complete and return the volunteer application.