JAMESTOWN, Calif. – Railtown 1897 State Historic Park (SHP) plans to treat dads and granddads extra special this Father’s Day — Sunday, June 17, 2018 — by pulling out the famous “Movie Star Locomotive” Sierra No. 3® for excursion train rides (regular ticket prices apply). Interested guests can enjoy a relaxing six-mile, 45-minute round trip ride along the rails of the famous “Movie Railroad.”
In addition to the memorable excursion train rides, there are lots of fun, interactive and interpretive-related activities happening at the Park, including:
- The Depot Store, historic Roundhouse & Shops, Interpretive Center and grounds are open from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with guided tours available;
- Hands on History boxes on the deck where volunteers conduct “show and tell” activities and allow visitors to touch and learn about riveting, railroad signaling, track laying and more;
- Wooden caboose visits where guests can climb aboard a classic to get a sense of what it was like to be a brakeman on the railroad;
- Behind-the-scenes locomotive cab rides are available (for an additional fee) to get an up-close look at a historic locomotive in-action and experience railroading in a new way;
- Families are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on-site on the sprawling Roundhouse lawn.
With regular excursion train ride departures at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Father’s Day Sunday, capacity is limited and visitors are encouraged to arrive early. Train ride tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youths ages 6-17 and kids five and under are free. Park admission costs are $5 for adults, $3 for youths ages 6-17 and free for children five and under. Plus, limited behind-the-scenes cab rides are available for noon and 1:30 p.m. departures, cost $50 for steam, and advance reservations are recommended. All train ride tickets include Park admission and are available for advance purchase at www.railtown1897.org as well as at the ticket window beginning at 10 a.m. on the day of the ride (based on availability).