AMESTOWN, Calif. – Railtown 1897 State Historic Park (SHP) plans to treat moms extra special this Mother’s Day on Sunday, May 13, 2018, by offering excursion train rides behind a historic diesel locomotive along with a special surprise to all mothers who visit the Park (while supplies last).
With beautiful wildflowers still in bloom, the six-mile, 45-minute roundtrip ride takes passengers through the rolling Gold Country foothills, passing through meadows and along grassy hillsides covered with ancient oak trees. For those wanting to treat mom extra special on Mother’s Day, the luxury lounge coach No. 2901 will be available on a first come, first serve basis. In addition to the relaxing train rides and eye-catching car, there are lots of fun, interactive and interpretive-related activities happening at the Park, including:
- The Depot Store, historic Roundhouse & Shops, Interpretive Center and grounds are open from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with guided tours available;
- Hands on History boxes on the deck where volunteers conduct “show and tell” activities and allow visitors to touch and learn about riveting, railroad signaling, track laying and more;
- Wooden caboose visits where guests can climb aboard a classic to get a sense of what it was like to be a brakeman on the railroad;
- Behind-the-scenes locomotive cab rides are available (for an additional fee) to get an up-close look at a historic locomotive in-action and experience railroading in a new way;
- Families are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on-site on the sprawling Roundhouse lawn.
With regular excursion train ride departures at 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Mother’s Day, capacity is limited and visitors are encouraged to arrive early. Train ride tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for youths ages 6-17 and kids five and under are free. Park admission costs are $5 for adults, $3 for youths ages 6-17 and free for children five and under. Behind-the-scenes cab rides are limited, cost $50 for steam and $40 for diesel, and are only available for noon and 1:30 p.m. departures; advance reservations are recommended.